Installing Linn Kazoo Server on a ZoneRipper (for PC Users)
Note: ZoneRippers supplied after April 2014 have Linn Kazoo Server Pre-Installed.
Linn Kazoo Server can operate side-by-side with other UPnP servers such as AssetUPnP.
These instructions are applicable to the version 2 ZoneRippers (with serial numbers 20000 and above). Linn Kazoo Server can be installed on earlier ZoneRippers (with serial numbers 10000 - 19999) using a similar procedure apart from the folder locations differ. See the section at the end of the page for details.
1 - Download Kazoo Server
- Using a web browser on your computer navigate to http://oss.linn.co.uk/trac/wiki/DownloadKazooServer
- Click on the Windows installer download link e.g. KazooServer_X.x.yyy_win.exe and save the file to your local computer hard drive i.e. your Downloads folder.
2 - Open the Documents Share on the ZoneRipper
- Press the Windows Key and the letter R on your computer keyboard to display the Run/Open dialog
- Enter the path \\zoneripper and press OK. Alternatively if you know the ZoneRipper IP address on your network you may use the ip address instead of the hostname e.g. \\192.168.1.10
- You may be prompted for a username and password. Use username administrator and the corresponding password.
- The default shares on the ZoneRipper will be displayed
- Click on the Documents Share - this is where you will copy the downloaded Kazoo Server installation file.
3 - Copy the Kazoo Server installation file to the ZoneRipper
- Using Windows Explorer open the local download folder location for the Kazoo Server download e.g. c:\users\username\Downloads from step 1
- Copy the Linn Kazoo Server installation file (CTRL-C)
- Paste the Linn Kazoo Server installation file in the Documents share opened previously on the ZoneRipper (CTRL-V)
4 - Use Windows Remote Desktop to connect the ZoneRipper
- The Windows Remote Desktop application is available from the Accessories menu in Windows. You may also start using the command mstsc from the Run dialog or command window.
- You will be prompted for a computer name. Use zoneripper or the ip address.
- Click connect.
You may be prompted about an insecure self-issued certificate - this is normal so accept and continue.
- Enter the username administrator and the corresponding password.
- You should now see the standard ZoneRipper desktop
5 - Install the Kazoo Server
- Within the Remote Desktop environment navigate the "Computer" option off the Start menu (bottom left hand corner of the Remote Desktop screen).
- Open the folder J:\ServerFolders\Documents - you should see the Linn Kazoo Server installation file copied to the ZoneRipper earlier:
- Double-click the Kazoo installation file to start the installation.
- Uncheck the "Show Readme" on the final page of the setup wizard and click Finish.
- You may now Close the Remote Desktop connection to the ZoneRipper.
6 - Configure Kazoo Server
- Start the Linn Konfig application on your PC (latest version available here)
- Select the Linn Kazoo Server from the list of available devices/services
- Click the Settings icon (gear wheel)
- Click the Add button
- Select the music folder. Typically J:\ServerFolders\Music
- Linn Kazoo Server will now index the music.
- You may now close Konfig.
- Linn Kazoo Server should now be visible on your control point (Kazoo for iPad, Kinsky etc).
- This completes the installation.
7 - Enjoy The Music!
April 2014: ZoneRipper, AssetNAS and kSTOR are pre-configured with KazooServer
Installation on ZoneRippers with serial number 10000 to 19999
The installation procedure is identical apart from:
- Copy the Linn Kazoo Server installation from your PC to the shared \\ZoneRipper\Public
- Within Remote Desktop navigate to d:\shares\Public to find the installation file
- In Konfig add the path d:\shares\Music