How to install AlienBBC on a QNAP TS109 and TS209 with SqueezeCenter (SSODS)
How to install AlienBBC on a QNAP TS-109 and TS-209 with SqueezeCenter (SSODS)
These instructions assume you have SqueezeCenter (SSODS) already installed and running on a QNAP TS-109 or TS-209 (See here for instructions on Installing SqueezeCenter (SSODS)). You may also be interetsed in How To Uninstall SlimServer 6.x on the QNAP TS-109 and TS-209.
The instructions work for us - they may not work for you. Use at your own risk.
1) Download AlienBBC from the main X2Systems website here http://www.x2systems.com/AlienBBC/. Download "AlienBBC v2.00 for Linux or Mac OS X and SqueezeCenter 7.x". We recommend using Firefox to download as Internet Explorer sometimes mangles the file extension. Save the file to your local hard drive. The current filename is alienbbc-linux-v2.00_7.0.tar.gz - but this will change as new versions are released - update the name in the commands below accordingly.
2) Copy alienbbc-linux-v2.00_7.0.tar.gz to the Public folder on the QNAP.
3) Use Putty.exe to connect to the command line interface on the QNAP. Use the username admin and password admin (default). You may wish to cut and paste the command directly from these instructions to avoid typing errors.
4) On the TS-109 or TS-209 with a single drive enter the following:
cp /share/HDA_DATA/Public/alienbbc-linux-v2.00_7.0.tar.gz /volume1/SqueezeCenter
On a TS-209 with dual drives in a RAID 1 configuration:
cp /share/MD0_DATA/Public/alienbbc-linux-v2.00_7.0.tar.gz /volume1/SqueezeCenter
5) Change to the SqueezeCenter folder using the follwing command:
6) Expand the file using the following command:
tar xzvf alienbbc-linux-v2.00_7.0.tar.gz
7) AlienBBC works best with the updated stdout mplayer included with SSODS. Use the following command to make the changes:
sed -i '/^[^#]/s/mplayer.sh/mplayer-stdout/;/^[^#]/s@/dev/fd/3@-@' /volume1/SqueezeCenter/Plugins/Alien/custom-convert.conf
8) Now Stop and start SqueezeCenter for the AlienBBC plugin to be registered and loaded using:
Stop it with:
And Start it with:
9) You should now be able to access AlienBBC through the Squeezebox and SqueezeCenter web interface.
We hope that you find these instructions useful. Please consider purchasing Logitech / Slim Devices equipment from us.
Please let us know if you have any suggestion for improving these instructions.