How to Setup a RipNAS Extender
The RipNAS Extender unit has three connections; 2 USB data, and 1 power connector.
- Power off the RipNAS.
- Position the RipNAS Extender unit - typically the extender is placed underneath the main RipNAS unit.
- Connect both the USB cables from the Extender unit to ANY of the free USB ports on the rear of the RipNAS
- Connect the 12v power connector to the rear of the RipNAS Extender.
The RipNAS Extender drives must be added to the RipNAS storage pool.
- Power on the RipNAS Extender.
- Power on the RipNAS and wait until the unit has booted.
- Open the Windows Home Server Console (this can also be accessed using Remote Desktop Connection see here for more details).
- Select the "Server Storage" tab within the Windows Home Server Console.
- The additional drives will appear listed in the "Non Storage Drives" section as shown above. You may need to wait a few minutes for both drives to appear in the list.
- For each of the Non Storage Hard Drives:
- Select the Drive.
- Click on the "Add" button
- The Add Hard Drive wizard will start. Click Next
- Select "Add this hard drive to your server storage....". Click Next.
- The next step will format and partition the selected Extender drive. Click "Finish".
- The drive will be initialised and added to the main data pool within the RipNAS.
- Once all drives have been added they should appear in the list of "Storage Hard Drives" on the "Server Storage" tab.